July 4th is the time for independent musings and to reflect on the great American experiment and the wisdom and courage of our forefathers.
Many physicians feel they have lost control of their profession and being over regulated and micromanaged by third parties that fundamentally interfere with their ability to take care of patients and contribute to solving the cost, quality, access and experience issues facing Sickcare USA.
Now is the time for all good doctors to come to the aid of their profession. Here are 10 ways:
1. Reform medical education and postgraduate training
2. Participate in the politicial process to change bad rules and join community based collaborative innovation networks (COINs) to create the future of medicine. To do so , you have to do more than just raise your hand. You have to show up.
3. Change how medical societies are representing the interests of their members
4. Adopt an entrepreneurial mindset and practice as a social enterprise, resolving the ethics of medicine with the ethics of business. Get involved in early new product development, testing, validation and deployment.
5. Fight against physician-industry participation rules that interfere with innovation and colloboration
6. Repair the patient-doctor relationship
7. Restore the mission of medicine, restoring patient trust and advocating for their interests while at at the same time advocating for the right to make a fair profit practicing medicine.
8. Eliminate toxic influences in the culture of medicine and medical training, shining light on its dark underbellies
9. Give doctors the ammunition and arms they need to overwhelm powerful enemies
10. Restore leadership and unity
Many doctors have taken up the fight. Doctors are the solution, not the problem
Arlen Meyers, MD, MBA is the President and CEO of the Society of Physician Entrepreneurs at www.sopenet.org